5.6.08

Choose the Life you Lead

If I were to engage in an online world, it would have to be World of Warcraft. In fact, because of this class, and this blog assignment in particular, I had been thinking about/seriously considering trying an MMORPG (something that will invite many colorful comments from my friends I am sure). So, I went to the WoW (World of Warcraft) website and found out they had a free 10-day trial promotion, and activated my trial account. For the first time in my life I had created an avatar to traverse a virtual landscape.

I was interested in WoW specifically because I know many people that play it. These people always give the game glowing endorsements, and whenever they regale their stories of conquest they are quite enthusiastic. WoW is the most popular online game right now, and that was another factor in my choosing it. The chance to interact with so many people in this virtual landscape is definitely one of its draw. So now I exist online, with my free 10-day trial account, as the Undead Rogue “Chuckzombie”.

The choice of character is the hardest part. How would you like to be viewed online? Do you want to be imposing, large and handsome? Would you rather be a mystical man of mystery? Does a humanoid female best suit you, or would you rather be a powerful orcish woman?

Initially, you choose race and class. Race determines which side of the fight you’re on (Alliance or Horde), and class determines they types of abilities at your disposal. I chose Horde. I became a member of the undead and there were many reasons why. Always a fan of zombies, I was allowed to become a member of the undead in this game, so I did. Also, I appreciated the aesthetics of the character as he looks like a total badass. I liked the sharp features, spiky hair and rotted, grinning teeth. A friend of mine is also part of the Horde, so that played a role in my decision too. The Alliance and Horde cannot speak to one another (they know different languages) and I wanted to be able to interact with my friend, so I decided to be a race that he could speak to.

Next you have the choice of class. We learned recently the levels of popularity of the classes among online players. I decided to be a Rogue, one of the more popular classes. My reasoning was: if rogues are popular, they must be easy to use. Also, the use of blades, stealth and cunning was very appealing to me. And again, my friend (a level 70 healer) has an account for a level 70 rogue, so he suggested that I practice as a Rogue in hopes that I would eventually take over his character.

My character, Chuckzombie, looks nothing like me. I wouldn’t want him to. In the real world I’m happy to look like a living human being. In the virtual landscape of WoW, I wanted a character that fits the part, and looks like he belongs in that mythical landscape. His personality, being an Undead, is sinister and sadistic. But, as evil as Chuckzombie may be, I’m still controlling him, so he can also be helpful and friendly.

I know the first part of this blog was supposed to be hypothetical, but I couldn’t help but experience an MMORPG for myself. The only other avatars I’ve created have been for games like Fight Night (a boxing game for PS2) or The Godfather (also for PS2). In Fight Night I designed my character to look like me, but in The Godfather I did not. I believe that the appearance of the character, their personality and likeness to you, all depend on the game that is being played. In Fight Night, I wanted to be the one punching out all the best boxing champs. In The Godfather, I wanted to play as a hardened thug who wore scars like a badge of honor. When playing a game and creating an avatar, players must always decide the level of immersion, how much of themselves will they put into the character and why. You have to choose the life you lead.